TIPS FOR IMPROVING PRONUNCIATIOn
- Be patient. You won't improve your pronunciation overnight, but you can improve with repeated practice.
- Focus on sounds that are difficult for you. You can get feedback from a teacher or use a diagnostic tool like posetest.com/ to learn which sounds you need to practice.
- Focus on one sound at a time. Don't try to correct all sounds at once.
- Practice repeating the examples several times over several days, and pay attention to exactly what the muscles of your mouth are doing. (You can use a model such as the ones on https://soundsofspeech.uiowa.edu/ to see what your mouth should do)
- If you have trouble pronouncing a word or sentence, break it into parts. Start with the sound you're practicing, then add a sound before it, then a sound after it. Continue adding parts until you can say the whole word or sentence.
- For each sound, think of other words you've heard with that sound. Listen for that sound as you talk to other English speakers.
- Try recording yourself and listening to your pronunciation. You can also share the recording with a teacher or friend.
- Remember: Progress is gradual. For example, you may improve pronouncing a sound at the end of words before you improve pronouncing it at the beginning of a word. Be patient and continue practicing!
These websites can help you learn more about pronunciation and the structure of English. Several of these resources helped in the development of this website.
- Color Vowel Chart: americanenglish.state.gov/resources/color-vowel-chart
- English Accent Coach: www.englishaccentcoach.com/validate.aspx
- Eva Easton's pronunciation website: www.evaeaston.com/pronunciation/
- Learner's Dictionary Perfect Pronunciation: www.learnersdictionary.com/pronex/pronex.htm
- Rachel's English: rachelsenglish.com/
- POSE test (pronunciation diagnostic): posetest.com/
- Pronuncian: pronuncian.com/
- Sounds of Speech: soundsofspeech.uiowa.edu/index.html#english
- Word Stress Rules: http://www.wordstress.info/
- YouGlish: https://youglish.com/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.